Sign on to Support Labor's Community Services Agency
Fall is the time when YOU can support your union brothers and sisters through the AFL-CIO’s Community Services Agency. Designate the CSA as a recipient when signing up the employee giving campaign at your work — CSA’s United Way number is #8253.
You can also donate directly. Many of Local 1994’s members have benefitted from the wonderful programs offered by the CSA. If you can, give back now.
JOIN IN THE FUN WITH CSA’s SPORTS & LABOR FAMILY EVENTS
Every year, CSA sponsors the “Bowling for Gold” Bowling Tournament, Labor Night at the Nats, and the Annual Golf Tournament, all of which raise money for the Emergency Assistance Fund.
CSA Annual Program Highlights
“Labor Cares – Labor Shares”
Meeting Emergency Needs
- Emergency Assistance Program helped 350 working families avoid evictions, foreclosures, utility cut-offs and hunger
- Holiday Basket Project provided food, gifts and funds for 50 area needy families at Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Food drives collected non-perishable food distributed to 100 neighbors in need
- Referred 250 area residents to additional resources in the area for emergency and other family needs
Helping Families Become Self-Sufficient
- Building Futures Program trained 70 unemployed area residents in a construction pre-apprenticeship training program with 80% landing jobs and apprenticeships after graduation
- Generated support for the Building Futures Program from the United Planning Organization, DC Workforce Investment Council, MARPAT Foundation, Joshua Community Fund, SHARE Fund, Anonymous Donor Fund
- CSA is a Preferred Training Provider for Maryland Department of Transportation ready to assist low-income area residents into entry level jobs on the Purple Line slated to begin construction in 2016
Supporting the Local Labor Community
- Promoted the Letter Carriers Food Drivein May which collects thousands of pounds of non- perishable food for area food banks
- Provided emergency assistance to over 350 members of 45 local unions facing hunger, evictions, foreclosures,utility cut-offs
- Assisted 30 area local unions with volunteer activities, food and clothing drives, fundraising for other local charities, training for members
- Provided strike support to area members of CWA locals on strike at Verizon for 45 days; provided $30,000 in emergency assistance to members?
The mission of the Community Services Agency is to improve the lives of workers and their families by meeting their human and social services needs; by building diverse coalitions to promote and protect dignity andjustice for workers; and by empowering workers and their unions to make their communities better places to live, work, raise a family and retire.
CSA is a United Way/Combined Federal/DCONE Fund Campaign Participant and is a member of the national AFL-CIO Community Services Network.
CSA proudly provides services for union members and residents of suburban Maryland, Northern Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
SUPPORT THE COMMUNITY SERVICES AGENCY USING UNITED WAY NUMBER: #8253
Or donate directly to CSA on our secure on-line donation site. Go to www.dclabor.org
, click on “community services” then click on “Donate NOW”