• Frequently Asked Questions

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Why Union?

    How much are union dues and service fees?

    How do I know if I am a member?

    How can I become an active member of the union?

    Can I opt out of the union?

    What is the role of a Shop Steward?

    Who is my Shop Steward?

    How do I contact UFCW Local 1994 MCGEO?

    Where can I find a copy of my Union Contract?

    Who do I talk to about a workers compensation claim?


    What is a grievance?  How do I file?

    What are my Weingarten Rights?

    What is FMLA?

    What is a pdf file?

    Have a question that you don't see an answer to. Send us an e-mail and we will try to answer it for you. Contact UFCW Local 1994 MCGEO at info@mcgeo.org.

    Why Union?

    Unions are making a difference. With most of the economic benefits of our economy going to corporate America, working people are using the power of collective action to get their fair share.

    Workers never got anything without uniting for it.

    • The 40-hour work week
    • The 8-hour workday
    • Overtime
    • Sick Leave
    • Paid Vacation
    • Employer-paid health insurance
    • Pensions
    • Safety and health protections
    • Grievance procedure for wrongful discharge and discipline
    • Fairness in promotions
    • Higher wages

    Just think of what you and your coworkers may be able to win if you had a union contract.

    How much are union dues and service fees?

    Under update

    How do I know if I am a member?

    If you are an Active Member of Local 1994, your pay stub will contain the word dues in some variance. Non-active members, or service fee payers will have the words service fee or SVC on their pay stub. The amount deducted does not change when you complete an application to become an Active Member, but the benefits do. Only Active Members are eligible to participate on bargaining teams, the executive board, and any vote related to the Union. They are also eligible to receive supplemental benefits like those mentioned on the Membership Benefits section of this site.

    How can I become an active member of the Union?

    By contacting your local union representative, shop steward or the membership services coordinator you can receive an application. Once the application is completed and returned to the union office you will receive a packet welcoming you into the union. See Getting Organized

    Can I opt out of the Union?

    It is a continuing condition of employment that all bargaining unit employees shall become members of the union within 30 days of obtaining merit system status or shall pay a service fee. You cannot opt out of the union.

    What is the role of a Shop Steward?

    • Acting as a liaison between the membership and union leadership
    • Assisting the union leadership in identifying/resolving worksite problem
    • Serving on Collective Bargaining Advisory Committee to help identify bargaining proposals
    • Enforcing the contract at your worksite
    • Increasing active union membership at your worksite
    • Representing co-workers in disciplinary actions with their supervisors

    Who is my Shop Steward?

    To find out who your Shop Steward, visit the UFCW Local 1994 MCGEO Steward's List.

    How do I contact UFCW Local 1994 MCGEO?

    By US Mail:

    UFCW Local 1994 MCGEO
    600 S. Frederick Avenue
    Suite 200
    Gaithersburg, MD 20877

    Phone: 301-977-2447 or 800-948-0654
    Fax: 301-977-6752

    By electronic mail:

    General e-mail: info@mcgeo.org

    You can reach Local 1994 Representatives via e-mail by visiting our "Officers and Staff" page and selecting the appropriate contact person.

    Where can I find my Union Contract?

    You can view the contracts online by visiting our Member Resources Page 'Contracts'

    Who do I contact regarding a Workers' Compensation claim?

    The Law Firm of Berman, Sobin, Gross, Feldman and Darby LLP handles workers compensation claims for employees covered under contracts bargained by UFCW Local 1994 MCGEO. For more information on Workers' Compensation Claims read their welcome letter or visit their website 

    What’s a grievance? How do I file?

    A grievance is any complaint by the certified employee organization arising out of a violation or misinterpretation of any provision of the collective bargaining agreement including disputes arising over changes in existing work rules and working conditions. Oral warnings, written reprimands, reclassifications, and discipline of probationary employees are non-grievable. Grievances can not be filed against other bargaining unit members.

    If you think that you have a grievable offense, you should contact your field representative who will determine whether or not a grievance can actually be filed.  Once it is determined that you have experienced a grievable offense, the appropriate union representative will complete the necessary paperwork and forward it to the appropriate department official. The union representative will also advise you, at the time, of the ensuing process and the expectations of the employee from that point forward.


    What Are My Weingarten Rights?

    If any discussion with a supervisor could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative, officer, or Steward be present at this meeting. Without representation present, I choose not to participate in this discussion.


    Si cualquier discusión con un supervisor podría de cualquier manera conducir a mí disciplinado o terminado, o afecte mis condiciones de trabajo personales, solicito respetuosamente que mi representante de unión, oficial, o administrador estén presentes en esta reunión. Sin el representación presente, elijo no participar en esta discusión.

    What Is FMLA?

    For information on the Family and Medical Leave Act and your rights consult your union contract.  You can view the contracts online by visiting our Member Resources Page 'Contracts.'

    What is a pdf file?

    A pdf is a 'Portable Document Format' file that can be viewed on most computers using a the free software by Adobe Industries called Acrobat Reader. This software is available for download at: 
    http://get.adobe.com/reader/. To install this software follow the instructions on Adobe's website.

    Page Last Updated: Mar 26, 2014 (13:03:36)
  • Have You Moved?
    Have you moved? Need to update your contact information? Are you on our mailing list? Let us know by filling out this form.
    Action Center
    Sign Up for our email blasts
    receive our email blasts by visiting this link and signing up.
    Sign Up for Text Messaging

    Mobile alerts from UFCW. Periodic messages. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to 698329 to stop receiving messages. Text HELP to 698329 for more information.
    Terms & Conditions

    Montgomery County Union Employees Deferred Compensation Plan

    Visit the UFCW Local 1994 portal to the Montgomery County Union Employees Deferred Compensation Plan.

    As a member of UFCW Local 1994 this Plan is provided as a benefit to help you save for retirement and invest in your future. 

  • UFCW Local 1994 MCGEO, AFL-CIO

    Copyright © 2017.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive

  • Top of Page image